Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Enough!!

Ok, time for a bitch session!

For the past week, it’s been All Eliot, all-the-time.

Now it’s All Hate-Monger Jeremiah, all-the-time.

Gee, anything else happen in America in the past few days???

And, I don’t care who had a three-way with whom! It’s none of our business! Quit reporting this stuff!

This is as bad as during the Lewinsky scandal. I had to explain to my 8-year-old what a “blow-job” was. She kept hearing the term on the news and wanted to know what it meant. (Her response: “Gross!!”)

I feel sorry for people with younger kids. The media is making such a big deal about all this that the kids can’t help but notice.

Kinda like hearing Haldeman and Erlichman every night on the news when I was 13 and very preoccupied with being a newly-minted teenager. I didn’t understand what was going on at the time but I was aware that it was bad.

I finally realized when I was in college that I had lived through a huge scandal and knew, essentially, nothing about it. I happed to catch “All the President’s Men” on cable. That got me curious about what had actually happened. I knew anything Hollywood put out was most probably not the truth.

About that time, most of the players in Watergate had started publishing their books. I went to the library and skimmed several, choosing the one by the judge in the case, John Sirica, to read in depth. I figured he had heard all the evidence and didn’t have a horse in the race, so to speak. He didn’t have any personal agendas to protect.

What are today’s children absorbing from these scandals? “God Damn America” and “Client #9”?!?

I’m glad my kids are grown and my grandson is too young to watch TV!!

And I’m also glad I don’t have to explain any of this to an innocent!

No comments: