Wednesday, March 05, 2008


Somebody finally noticed:,2933,331689,00.html

This may come as a surprise to many of you, but Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs, CFLs, those spiral light bulbs we’re all going to be forced to use, are extremely poisonous! They contain measurable amounts of mercury, a toxic substance.

Remember a few years ago how we were all getting poisoned from the mercury in fish? There’s more mercury in every single bulb, much more mercury, then in a can of tuna. Break one of those and you poison your house unless you can afford to have a haz-mat team come and clean it. And breaking the bulb releases the mercury into the air so whoever broke the bulb gets a nice lung-full of poison in addition to having to clean up the poison-laced glass. Careful! Don’t cut yourself! They even recommend cutting out that section of carpet and disposing of it. How? They don't say. Into the landfills, I guess

Another thing you never hear about is what we’re going with all these highly poisonous light bulbs after they burn out. Where are they going? Landfills? That will poison our ground water. These things are hazardous waste!

Personally, I’m stocking up on regular, non-poisonous incandescent bulbs. Yeah, they may use a little more energy to light my home but they won’t make if unlivable if I should happen to break one. And they don’t poison the environment with their remains!

And I like the color of the light better, too!

No comments: